Patient and Family Advisory Pool
The Patient and Family Advisory Pool is a non-committal way for you to participate as a Patient & Family Advisor. While everyone will receive the same opportunities, only select the ones that interest you! This may depend of your time and availability, but hopefully there will be some opportunities that work for you.
If you join, we will share an Orientation Package with you that will provide you with background information on the hospital, as well as occasionally share a newsletter with you and provide training on a range of topics that might be of interest.
The Patient and Family Advisor works in partnership with the hospital staff to support patient centred care* by providing the patient and family perspective across a wide range of policies, processes, patient education materials and communication strategies. Patient and Family Advisors are expected to be objective and balanced in their approach. Patient and Family Advisors serve in an advisory role that will influence hospital decisions. The Patient and Family Advisor may serve in a variety of ways that meet their interests and time commitments. This could include participating in surveys, meetings, focus groups, or sitting on various Unit and Program committees, including the Patient and Family Advisory Council.
*Patient centred care is an approach to planning, delivery and evaluation of health care that is grounded in mutually beneficial partnerships among patients, families and health care providers (Institute for Patient and Family Centered Care, 2010.)
- A passion for enhancing the health care experience for patients and families
- Able to share insights and information about their experiences and constructively help evolve programs, services and hospital priorities
- Good listener
- Respects other’s opinions and perspectives
- Able to share thoughts and opinions in a group setting
- Open to see beyond their own personal experience
- Able to work collaboratively with others
- Able to promote the image and mission of Woodstock Hospital through positive interaction with staff, physicians, volunteers and organizational information
- Interest in gaining an understanding of patient centred care
- Patient and Family Advisors must be a patient or be a family member or caregiver of a patient, who has received care at Woodstock Hospital within the past two years and lives or works in the Oxford County region
- Commitment to the hospital’s mission, vision and values
- Patient and Family Advisors may participate in a range of initiatives, including: patient safety, quality improvement, program design, policy development, discharge planning, patient & staff education, patient experience.
- Patient and Family Advisors work with staff to ensure care is personalized, community oriented, safe and of high quality.
- Patient and Family Advisors ensure that patients and families are always the focal point of care at Woodstock Hospital.
- Patient and Family Advisors build partnerships and relationships with staff and each other based on mutual respect and open communication.
- Patient and Family Advisors are responsible for preparing for the initiatives they sign up for, such as attending meetings and familiarizing themselves with materials sent out prior to each meeting.
- Patient and Family Advisors will not discuss confidential information outside of their role with the hospital.
- Report any incidents or concerns to staff.
- Adhere to all Woodstock Hospital policies, procedures and guidelines, including Code of Conduct, Confidentiality and Infection Prevention and Control.
Training for the Role:
Orientation, education, support and recognition will be provided. All Patient and Family Advisors are required to participate in orientation in advance of beginning their role, and to participate in ongoing education as necessary.